GSRK Estates
Home Services Projects Media Center About Us Contact Us Download Career
19 SEZs in Telangana, Andhra P
Tax Benefit for 1st Home Buyer
NIMS-Rangapur building, 400 ac
Report seeks Rs. 750 cr. for d
Irrigation Projects in Mahaboo
State entrusts protection of g
Hyderabad IT investment region
AP proposes 400 Acre electroni
Andhra Pradesh inks MoUs for R
Govt cancels illegal layouts i
Companies and states oppose La
Land acquisition bill - Revise
HMDA master plan covering 6000
AP has the most number of SEZs
Peugeot may choose Chittoor to
MIC Electronics new LED produ
Mahindra to set up tractor man
Capgemini has more staff in In
Largest Single Building Office
BDL, NSG, Octopus, CRPF, NPA o
Show All News
Media Information
ICICI withdraws 8.25% Home Loan - Construction services tax

Published & Updated as on - 2010-03-07

ICICI Bank, India's No. 2 lender, has raised auto loans by 25-50 basis points for different tenors and segments, effective from March 5, a spokesman said on Thursday.

The bank has also discontinued its special home loan rate of 8.25 percent for two years, the spokesman said without elaborating.

The bank will currently charge 8.75 percent for loans up to 3 million rupees, 9 percent for loans of 3 million to 5 million rupees and 9.5 percent for loans over 5 million rupees, he added.

Source: Reuters 4/3/10

Construction services tax to raise cost of apartments

The budget proposal has thrown up a dampener for the housing industry. Construction services have now been brought under the ambit of the service tax in an unexpected move that would raise cost of apartments that are still under construction. As per the Budget proposal, the finance ministry has suggested that construction would be deemed to be a taxable service if the building or complex is still under construction and approval from the concerned regulatory authority — which in most cases is the resident municipal authority — hasn’t yet been granted. The levy would cover all construction of complex service or commercial or industrial construction services, the Finance Bill suggested.

The service tax levy would be 10.3% and would also apply to additional services such as those offering preferential locations for flats in multi-storey buildings where flats in each floor are priced at a premium due to their location. This too has been described as a service and hence taxable, according to the proposal which was tabled in Parliament on Friday by finance minister Pranab Mukherjee. The premium is typically levied on categories such as flats or apartments that are above a certain floor rise or have other high value locations such as being in front of a garden or a sea or any other preferred locality.

“The proposal is to tax construction if the entire payment for the flat is made before completion of construction,” said consulting firm RSM Astute executive director K H Viswanathan. “This would increase the cost of the apartment and may discourage potential buyers.” The service tax would be 10% on 33% of the price of the apartment, while on the remaining 67%, tax won’t be levied.Till now, for all apartments under construction, customers paid in instalments based on plinth level construction and also on the progress in building activity. Banks too lent money to the customers according to the requirement of the builder. Now most developers would ask customers to pay the entire value of the building if they sought to lock in at a certain value. This would mean paying the entire sum before the construction. Typically, in cities such as Mumbai, where there is a pressure on space and hence apartments and flats are much sought after, customers booking for flats in an under construction, is very common. “The service tax and excise duty hike on cement would increase the overall cost of apartment by about 10%,” said Dharmesh Jain, managing director of Nirmal Lifestyles, a Mumbai-based developer. “It’s a negative step and we are considering to meet the finance minister to plead for a relook on this measure,” he added.

But there are other positive measures that the Budget proposes such as allowing pending projects to be completed within a period of 5 years instead of 4 years, for claiming deduction of profits, as one time interim relief. There is also a suggestion that the commercial area included in a housing project would now be 3% of the aggregate built-up area of the housing project or 5,000 sq. ft, whichever is higher, compared to the existing limit of 2% and 2,000 sq.ft. respectively. This would help developers and real estate companies to make their projects more viable.

Source: Economic Times 01/03/10

Newsletter Subscription
Copyright Reserve to © GSRK Estates 2009-10 | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | Site Map -- Web Technology ETimes (india)